Monday, February 1, 2010

The Beginning of my Journey

Throughout my life I have always loved books. I would spend hours in Chapters as a little girl, and end up with a pile of books from my fingertips to my chin. I always wanted them around me, because just the sight of them made me feel like at any moment I could enter into another world. Perhaps a mystical world filled with dragons and princesses, or an ordinary and dependable world with kids just like me. Over the years my love for books has not faltered, however I have neglected them more than I care to admit. 


I have come up with excuses we have all heard, and made ourselves. 'There is not enough time' or 'I need to do other things first'. But how many of us find ourselves watching at least an hour of t.v at the end of each day? I am not against television, there are many times when I enjoy watching a beloved movie, or a great new series, but if we have time to watch t.v, then we certainly have time to read.



I used to make a goal for myself to read a book a month, and I pretty much stuck with it. Some months I would read more, some a bit less, but it usually averaged out. Then one day in early January I received an e-mail about this lady who decided to read a book a week. At first I thought that sounded a bit ludicrous, but then she broke it down. The books she had decided to read were averaging two hundred to three hundred pages, so that's about forty pages a day. Forty pages! That's it! That's taking only an hour out of your day. It was at that point I realized that this was completely manageable, and I wanted to make this my new goal. Over the next fifty two weeks I plan on challenging myself to read a vast variety of genres and authors, and am hoping to open my mind to new worlds, ideas, and writing styles. I want to learn about new things, fall in love with characters, and expand my own world, with the worlds so gracefully written by authors of all ethnicities.



I am already three weeks, and three books in, but I wanted to start keeping track of the fifty two books I have a head of me this year, and I wanted to share my journey with other books lovers like me.



No comments:

Post a Comment